One of the most common problems with mattresses is carpet beetle infestation. These insects will come into your mattress surface and, if the environment supports them, they will thrive and live there. They will even put their larvae on the mattress surface and grow bigger if you do nothing to eliminate them. Don’t forget that they might also come inside the mattress and breed there.
Carpet beetles will make your mattress look bad because they will contaminate the fabrics of your mattress and also other places around the house, such as the carpets, couches, and so on. This is the reason you need to stop the movements of these pests, as they will turn your bedroom or home environment into an unhealthy one. This guide will help you get rid of carpet beetles in your mattress.
The Dangers of Keeping Carpet Beetles in Your Mattress
It’s not good to keep carpet beetles living in your mattress for too long. After finding one or two carpet beetles around your mattress, check if it has infested the whole mattress. It’s necessary to be cautious, as you don’t want to let the carpet beetles invade your place of sleep and disturb you while sleeping.
Here are the dangers of keeping carpet beetles in your mattress:
- Carpet beetles can cause contamination in the fabrics of your mattress, causing damages and making it look dirty.
- These pests can also contaminate the foods you eat, which can cause potential poisoning for the foods.
- Please note that carpet beetles don’t bite and they are not poisonous, but they can cause various contaminations around your house.
- They can look annoying and disgusting in large numbers, as they will eat the natural fabrics of your mattress or carpet.
- Extensive damages on the mattress because of carpet beetles can render your mattress unusable.
These are the dangers of keeping carpet beetles in your mattress, which should give you enough reasons to start the extermination process of these pests right away.
Steps to Fetting Rid of Carpet Beetles in Your Mattress
Carpet beetles can infest your mattress and other places around your house, such as carpets, upholstery, couches, clothing, and many more. The key is that anything made of natural fabrics will become a target for carpet beetle infestation. Getting rid of carpet beetles is quite a simple process. However, it is important not to underestimate the pest infestation, as the number can be bigger than it looks.
Here are the steps to get rid of carpet beetles in your mattress:
- First, you need to remove the bed sheet or bed cover and locate the source of infestation around your mattress area.
- Once you’ve located the source of the infestation, you need to vacuum the mattress by focusing on vacuuming the source of infestation to get rid of most adult carpet beetles and the larvae.
- Next, you can clean the mattress with a thorough cleaning process to wipe away all carpet beetles still lingering on the mattress.
- Spray some insecticide by using a commercial insecticide product for home use and focus on the areas that become the source of infestation.
- Dry the mattress under the sunlight for a few hours until it becomes dry while making sure that there are no more carpet beetles left on the surface or inside the mattress.
These are the basic steps you can follow to get rid of carpet beetles from your mattress as soon as possible. There are many other ways to get rid of these pests, such as by using boric acid, vinegar mixture, and so on.
Tools You Can Use to Eliminate Carpet Beetles in Your Mattress
There are various tools you can use to get rid of carpet beetles in your mattress. You can use these tools not only for the mattress, but you can also use them for the other parts of your house, such as carpets, upholstery, clothes, sofa, area rugs, and many others. Whenever you see some carpet beetles around, check if there are some parts of the mattress being infested by these pests. Then, use one of these tools to get rid of them.
Here are some tools you can use to eliminate carpet beetles in your mattress:
- Steam cleaner. This is the one tool you can use to clear carpet beetles from the mattress. The heat and the cleaning solution you use in your steam cleaner can kill both adult carpet beetles and the larvae.
- Vacuum cleaner. Vacuum cleaning the mattress can give you an effective solution to clean the mattress surface from the adult carpet beetles and the larvae. This is the perfect first step to get rid of this pest’s infestation in your mattress.
- Carpet cleaner or shampooer. Shampooing and cleaning the mattress can help get rid of carpet beetles and many other bugs inside the mattress as well. Choose the cleaning solution that has the disinfectant property to ensure that you can get rid of the carpet beetles from the mattress with the deep-cleaning procedure.
- Boric acid. You can sprinkle the boric acid powder around the areas infested with carpet beetles. With this solution, you can kill the remaining carpet beetles after you vacuum and clean the mattress.
- Vinegar mixture. Vinegar is also an excellent solution you can use to get rid of carpet beetles around the mattress area. The acidic substance can kill the pests fast, and you just need to spray this mixture around the infested areas in your mattress.
Tips to Prevent Carpet Beetle Infestation
Dealing with carpet beetles doesn’t stop with getting rid of them from your mattress. They can come back infesting various stuff around the house again later, even though you have eliminated them today. The next infestation can begin as long as the source of the carpet beetle infestation is still there. Thus, it is important for you to prevent the carpet beetle infestation in your house after you’ve eliminated them using various methods explained above.
Here are some tips to prevent carpet beetle infestation:
- Check the perimeter of your house for any bird or insect nests around the house, such as in the backyard. These places can be the breeding ground for carpet beetles, and they can sometimes migrate inside your house later.
- Store any clothing or linens you don’t use in the plastic containers, as carpet beetles will not come close to anything plastic.
- Make a routine to spray outdoor insecticides around your house, such as around the places that can become the potential entry points for the carpet beetles.
- Cover your mattress or couches using synthetic fabrics to repel carpet beetles and prevent them from coming inside your mattress or couches.
- Don’t create any kind of damp environment around your house, as it’s the favourite place for carpet beetles to breed. Always allow enough sunlight and air to come through the rooms around your house to prevent carpet beetle infestation.
Follow these tips to make it next to impossible for carpet beetles to invade your house and start their infestation on your couches, carpets, linens, clothing, and mattresses.
Can carpet beetles live in a mattress?
Yes, carpet beetles can live in a mattress, and they can also dig their way inside your mattress. Try to find the source of the infestation when you see some carpet beetles on the surface of your mattress. Some areas might already become the nest for the carpet beetles.
Can carpet beetles live in pillows?
Yes, they can live in pillows if they have natural fabrics. Check your pillows if you suspect that there is a carpet beetle infestation there. You should throw away damaged pillows if it already has a bad carpet beetle infestation.
How do I get rid of carpet beetles once and for all?
As explained in this guide, you can get rid of carpet beetles through various methods. You can use the indoor disinfectant, steam cleaner, carpet shampooer, and many others. It’s important to target the source of their infestation to get rid of them once and for all, and also, you need to prevent them from coming to your home environment again.
What’s the reason I have carpet beetles in my bedroom?
It might be because of the natural fabrics of your bed or mattress, so it attracted the carpet beetles to live there. Also, your bedroom environment might be conducive to their living space, such as if it is damp without enough sunlight coming into the room. You need to get rid of these pests as soon as possible by following the methods as explained in this guide.
You can follow this guide to get rid of carpet beetles in your mattress. You can also use the tips to eliminate these pests in other places as well. Prevention is also an important part to keep them away from your house, so be sure to follow the tips to prevent carpet beetle infestation in your home environment.
Another important thing to know is that once carpet beetles caused heavy damages to your mattress, clothes, linens, and other stuff, you might need to throw it away, as there is no way for you to keep using it. Thus, it’s important to act as soon as possible to get rid of them and prevent them from coming back again.