Steam cleaning is one of the most effective methods to disinfect your carpet and restore the cleanliness of the carpet fast. It can kill the bacteria, viruses, and bugs that can linger on the carpet, and with the steaming procedure, you can make your carpet safe for everyone to use. Not only that, but you can also get rid of other problems on the carpet, such as dirt, dust, stains, pet messes, and many others.
However, the problem with steam cleaning is that you need to use the steam cleaner machine to perform the steaming procedure on the carpet. A good steam cleaner machine will not come out cheap, so you need to invest a considerable amount of money before you can start the steaming and disinfecting procedure. The cheaper solution would be to hire professional carpet cleaning experts to do it for you. But then again, you might end up spending a lot of money if you need to hire carpet cleaning experts every weekend.
What’s the solution? The viable solution is for you to disinfect the carpet without using the steam cleaner machine. This is the guide that will help you get into it.
You Can Disinfect Your Carpet without a Steam Cleaner
Carpet steaming is just one of the many ways you can follow to disinfect your carpet. Please note that you don’t need to use the steam cleaner machine to remove bacteria, viruses, and bugs from your carpet. Of course, it might be better for you to use the steam cleaner machine for this purpose. But there are also many other alternatives you can follow.
Here are some reasons you should disinfect your carpet without a steam cleaner:
- You can save money on buying an expensive steam cleaner machine or hiring carpet cleaning experts every week.
- You can use the homemade ingredients to create your own disinfectant, which you can use on your carpet.
- It will be easier for you to go through the cleaning process, as you will have more control over how you will clean and disinfect the carpet.
- You don’t need to deal with the heavy steam cleaning machine during the disinfecting process, which can often be burdensome.
- Creating the cleaning solution is easy, and you can disinfect and clean your carpet as many times as needed without difficult preparations.
These are the reasons to use alternative disinfecting methods for your carpet. You’ll get more or less the same result as when you use the steam cleaner machine to disinfect your carpet.
What Can I Spray on Carpet to Disinfect?
To disinfect your carpet without a steam cleaner machine, you can create your own homemade carpet cleaning spray. This homemade solution will help you clean various stains from the carpet and disinfect it from bacteria, viruses, and more. You will use the white vinegar mixture for this purpose, as it has an excellent disinfecting quality that can help refresh your carpet and make it cleaner and healthier.
Here’s how to use white vinegar to disinfect your carpet:
- Prepare a bowl where you can put the mixture of white vinegar and water.
- Prepare the mix of white vinegar and water in a 1:3 ratio, and you also need to prepare the scrub brush as the cleaning tool you will use.
- Soak the scrub brush into the mixture of white vinegar and put the scrub brush onto the carpet you want to disinfect until the water seeps into the carpet.
- Rub the carpet area you want to disinfect with gentle movements and expand to the area you want to reach.
- Prepare a clean cloth to blot out the water from the mixture and do this in the repeat to get the best result.
Once you get the process done, you can let the carpet dry by itself for about 10-15 minutes. After that, you can enjoy the fresh new carpet that is free from any bacteria and viruses.
How Can I Disinfect My Carpet with Natural Ingredients?
It is possible to disinfect your carpet with natural ingredients, without using cleaning solutions that contain too many chemicals that can be unhealthy for you and your family members. Disinfecting your carpet with natural ingredients is the better option you can get when you need to keep your carpet clean and prevent it from collecting any dangerous bacteria and viruses. For this purpose, you will need to use baking soda, borax, and cornmeal.
Here are the steps you need to follow to create the natural disinfectant for your carpet:
- You will need to get a half cup of baking soda, a cup of borax, and a cup of cornmeal, and then you need to blend them all in a bowl.
- Once the mixture is ready, you can sprinkle it over the areas of the carpet you want to disinfect using a clean cloth.
- Please make sure that you are sprinkling the mixture, not rubbing it and soaking it into the carpet, as it will create compounds that can get difficult when you try to vacuum it later.
- Next, you will need to wait overnight for the mixture to work its effects on the carpet.
- The next day, you can vacuum the carpet to get rid of all the sprinkled mixtures you have spread on the carpet before.
This is the carpet disinfecting procedure that will allow you to use the natural ingredients to keep bacteria and viruses away from your carpet. Use this procedure as often as you need to keep the dangerous bacteria, viruses, and bugs at bay.
How Do You Kill Bacteria in Carpet?
Bacteria can seep into the carpet and spread diseases if you don’t clean your carpet often. With all the activities you do on the carpet, including the pet messes, stains, and many other things that happen on the carpet, it’s easy for it to attract bacteria, germs, viruses, and many other things that are unhealthy for you and your family members. So, how can you kill bacteria on carpet?
Here are some tips to kill bacteria on the carpet:
- Don’t wait for your carpet to get dirty before you vacuum or clean it, as bacteria can gather in the carpet every single day.
- Remove any pet stains as soon as possible and don’t wait until tomorrow for you to clean it, as pet stains can attract various germs, viruses, and bacteria to your carpet.
- Disinfect your carpet using vinegar or baking soda solution as explained above, which is a great way for you to keep your carpet fresh and healthy for your family.
- Always remove your shoes or sandals when you use your carpet, as your shoes and sandals can become a source of bacteria for your carpet.
- Use a steam cleaner or a carpet cleaning machine as often as every week to keep your carpet clean and comfortable to use.
These are the tips you can follow to keep your carpet bacteria-free. It’s important for you to perform these maintenance routines to keep your carpet, and also your home environment, healthy and clean.
How Do You Sanitize Carpet?
The simplest way for you to sanitize your carpet, if you don’t want to do all the cleaning jobs, is to hire the carpet cleaning experts at least every month to do the disinfection and cleaning job for you. But, if it is not viable for your situation, you can sanitize your carpet with the steam cleaner or the homemade cleaning solutions already mentioned above. The bottom line is that you don’t need to keep your carpet dirty and full of germs. You need to clean and sanitize it.
Here are some tips to sanitize your carpet:
- Use cleaning solutions like white vinegar and baking soda to sanitize your carpet without having to use a steam cleaner machine.
- Reach all areas of the carpet, not just the areas that you often use.
- Prevent any family members from bringing stuff that is dirty on top of the carpet, as it can become the source of germs later.
- Teach your pets to pee or poop in their proper place, which is in their litter box or the toilet.
- Perform the cleaning procedure for your carpet at least once per week, or at the most, once every two weeks to prevent any bacteria or viruses from spreading on the carpet surface.
Sanitizing your carpet is one thing that you need to do often. You should not wait until your carpet gets very dirty before you start the disinfection process for the carpet.
Now, you have learned how to disinfect your carpet without using the steam cleaner machine. Yes, using the steam cleaner machine is preferable if you can get a hold of it in your house. Have a steam cleaner machine lying around? By all means, use it to disinfect your carpet from time to time, as it is the best option you can get to keep the carpet free from bacteria, viruses, and germs.
However, you can follow the tips in this guide to start the cleaning process to kill the bacteria, germs, and viruses in your carpet, if you don’t have any steam cleaner ready. You can just use homemade cleaning solutions and start the cleaning or disinfecting process right away. It’s simple, affordable, and it will bring an effective result for you. You should try it today.