Coloring your hair using hair dye might be a good idea to improve your overall appearance. But, when you do it on top of the carpet, the dye can get spilled onto the carpet surface, and some elements might get soaked into the layers of the carpet. The hair dye will dry out fast, so it might get sticky on the carpet surface, which can be very difficult to remove.
Sometimes, accidents like spilling your hair dye on top of the carpet can happen, and the best course of action for you to remedy the situation is to clean the carpet as soon as possible. However, it’s not as simple as that. The stickiness of the hair dye might not give you a simple way to get rid of it from the carpet. Regular cleaning solutions might still leave the hair dye sticking on the carpet after you wash it.
So, you will end up with a carpet that looks horrible with the hair dye stains on top of it. In this guide, you will learn about how to get rid of the sticky hair dye from the carpet.
The Difficulty of Removing Hair Dye Stains from Carpet
Hair dye, when it gets in contact with the carpet surface, can become very sticky and difficult to remove. It will also become dried up on the carpet surface, creating hard compounds that will cover up the carpet layers and make it harder for you to get rid of. Also, the stickiness of the stains from hair dye on the carpet won’t go away just by washing the carpet, because often, the hard compounds will stick around, and it will be waterproof.
Here are some things to keep in mind before cleaning the hair dye stains from the carpet:
- Small hair dye stains won’t be a problem for you to remove, but the heavy stains from the hair dye that cover a large area of your carpet might become very difficult to remove.
- You can’t just wash them away with water, as hair dye is often waterproof, and the stickiness of it on the carpet will linger on even after you wash the carpet.
- The only best way for you to remove the stains from the hair dye is to dilute the hard compounds using certain cleaning solutions, such as vinegar and dishwasher soap.
- Sometimes, you can remove the dried-up hair dye stains on the carpet by brushing the area, as the stains will turn into powder when you do so, but you can only do it to remove most of the stains from the carpet, not all of them.
- Using lukewarm water is always better than using cold water, as the lukewarm water can help dilute the hair dye and make the removal process easier for you.
These are the things you should keep in mind before you get rid of hair dye stains from the carpet. Please note that you might experience some challenges along the way, depending on your current situation.
How Do You Get Permanent Hair Dye Out of Carpet?
Many hair dye products might give you temporary colors for your hair, but many others will also give you permanent colors for your hair. You cannot change the hair color once you apply it to your hair unless you use a special cleaner for the hair dye. The permanent hair dye products will become more difficult to remove once you spill it on the carpet. The carpet might just absorb it, and the compounds will become harder to dilute.
So, how can you solve this problem? Here are some tips you can follow to get permanent hair dye out of the carpet:
- You can use the vinegar mixture along with the dishwasher soap to get rid of the permanent hair dye from the carpet.
- First, you need to create a mixture of vinegar, water, and dishwasher soap in about the same quantity for each ingredient.
- Then, you can use the mixture to spray it on the permanent hair dye that got stuck on the carpet to clean it.
- You can use the kitchen sponge or brush to clean the area, removing the hair dye one step at a time.
- You might need to repeat the process to ensure that you get the best result with this cleaning procedure.
The vinegar, dishwasher soap, and water mixture can help create a homemade cleaning solution that can dilute the permanent hair dye and remove it from the carpet. It is also great to use on a large area on your carpet.
Can Hair Dye Come Out of Carpet?
The answer is yes, but it will often be difficult for you to remove it from the carpet. The stickiness of the hair dye can be very persistent, and depending on your carpet fabrics, it won’t get away just by the regular washing procedure. One way to get rid of it is by following the tips above, which is to use vinegar, dishwasher soap, and water mixture and brush it off the carpet using the kitchen sponge or brush. However, even this procedure might not give you the satisfying result you seek.
Here are some reasons hair dye products can become persistent on the carpet:
- You might spill too many hair dye products onto the carpet, which creates a heavy stain area that is difficult to remove from the carpet fabrics.
- The hair dye products might be the permanent type, meaning that it is the product that will stick to your hair for a long time.
- Permanent hair dye products might get stuck on the carpet unless you use a special hair dye remover to clean it from the carpet.
- The carpet fabrics might also be very absorbing toward the hair dye products, making it even harder to come out from the carpet.
- Also, the carpet fabrics might be prone to damage, meaning you might damage the carpet fabrics when you try to remove the sticky hair dye from it.
These reasons can make it harder for you to start the cleaning process for the hair dye on the carpet, so you need to be extra careful when you perform the cleaning procedure for it.
How Does Baking Soda Remove Hair Dye from Carpet?
Another way to remove sticky hair dye stains from your carpet is by using baking soda. For this purpose, you will use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and mix them in equal quantities. Use this mixture and apply it to the hair dye stains on the carpet, and wait for about 15 minutes. Then, you need to rub the area with the kitchen sponge or brush for some time and rinse the stained area with warm water. This can help you clean hair dye from the carpet.
Here are some tips to use baking soda to remove hair dye from carpet:
- You can blot the stained area using warm water and then sprinkle baking soda on top of it and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Once the area becomes dry, you can vacuum the baking soda to get it out of the carpet.
- Most of the time, this method will give you good enough results to remove the stains from the carpet.
- You can also create a mixture of vinegar and water if there are still some hair dye stains persisting after applying the baking soda.
- You can also use baking soda and water to create the baking soda paste and apply it to the stained area, wait for about 10 minutes, and then rub it to clean the hair dye from the carpet.
Baking soda has a lot of uses, and one benefit of baking soda is to clean hair dye from the carpet. You can try these tips today.
How Do You Remove Dye Stains from Carpet?
Aside from the tips explained above, there are still some other methods you can try to remove dye stains from the carpet. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that not all methods will work in all situations. Depending on the hair dye stains you have on your carpet, you might need to switch to different methods to see which one works the best for you to remove it.
Here are some more tips to remove dye stains from carpet:
- You can also use alcohol to remove the dye stains from the carpet by rubbing the alcohol on the stain and blot it out in repeat movements.
- You can use a hair dye remover, which is the same product you would use on your hair to remove the permanent hair color and see if you can remove the hair dye on the carpet.
- There are also commercial cleaning solutions you can use to remove dye stains from the carpet, which is something you can try.
- Try using the best steam cleaners to remove the stains, as it can dilute the dye and get rid of it from the carpet.
- The carpet cleaning machine can become your last resort if you find other methods that seem to lack the effectiveness to remove the stains.
Try these methods as the alternative methods you can use to get rid of the hair dye stains from the carpet.
Got an accident that spills the hair dye on the carpet? You can follow the various methods as explained in this guide to start the cleaning process to get rid of the sticky stains right away.
Don’t wait until tomorrow. Start the cleaning process today!